“Connect with God ~ Grow in Faith ~ Serve in Love”
Dear WUMC Family & Friends, September 1, 2020
Well, it’s been over five months since COVID-19 “changed” churches – a shutdown of in person worship for several months, cancelation of many ministry events and programs, a disconcerting deficiency of Christian fellowship and lack of just “being together”, a suspension of several aspects of our mission and outreach, along with an overall mood of uncertainty, anxiety, and even fear.
It’s time for a turnaround! It’s time for renewal! It’s time to intentionally move forward, onward, upward, and outward! It’s time to re-capture some of the “old normal” and to open up to new and exciting ministry and mission! I am not suggesting that we dismiss concerns regarding the Coronavirus or that we spring forward carelessly or haphazardly. BUT, I am encouraging us not to let fear cripple or paralyze us to the point of hindering and/or neglecting our spiritual lives, growth, ministry, and mission.
Christians are not meant to be isolated from other believers or from the world around us. Sometimes (as when the pandemic initiated) it is necessary to “stay away” for a season, but a prolonged period of “social distancing” can result in many detrimental consequences spiritually, relationally, physically, mentally and emotionally. Take necessary precautions, but don’t let COVID-19 control your life and health – spiritually, relationally, physically, mentally or emotionally.
Our church building is thoroughly cleaned and sanitized, face masks and social distancing are encouraged, physical contact is avoided, WHILE AT THE SAME TIME – in person corporate worship is celebrated, youth and children’s ministries are benefitting our young people in many ways, community groups are utilizing our facilities again, spiritual growth opportunities are taking place, and we are seeking to cautiously AND optimistically fulfill our mission for us and others to “Connect with God, Grow in Faith, Serve in Love.”
Please prayerfully consider joining with us as the dawn breaks on a new day of ministry and mission in Jesus’ name.
Romans 15:13, Pastor Clint
1) “In person” worship each Sunday:
9am Praise Service in the Center for Hope
11am Traditional Service in the Sanctuary
**On-line worship will continue each week on Facebook, our church website, and YouTube for those who are unable to safely be with us and as a witness on social media to those beyond our church walls. Please continue to “SHARE” our services and devotionals on Facebook even if you are worshipping with us in person.
2) Red Cross Blood Drive in the Center for Hope on Wednesday, Sept. 9. Please sign up online at redcrossblood.org and give the gift of life, if you are able.
3) Wednesday FaithBuilders beginning again on Wed., Sept. 9 and each Wednesday evening. There will be NO meal, but worship will take place from 6-6:30pm, Youth Group 6:00-7:45pm, Kingdom Kids 6:00-7:30pm, and Bible Study 6:30-7:30pm (Bible study will also be online at this time). Hope you can join us!
4) We are strongly encouraging participation in “A National and Global Day of Prayer and Repentance” and “10 Days of Fasting and Prayer.” Please see enclosed “yellow sheet.”
5) Children’s Bash on Saturday morning, Sept. 19. Ages 4-6th grade. Please join with us for this exciting “one day” VBS! Must register online (wintersvilleumc.com) by 9/16 to participate. Worship, Crafts, Bible Time, Activities in the Center for Hope!
6) Children’s Sunday School and adult S. S. classes are now meeting at 10am Sunday mornings; Bible Studies online – Wed. at 6:30pm (and in person) and Thursday at 7pm. Sunday evening Bible Study meeting in person, 7pm, Sept.13; AA, NAMI, Overeaters Anonymous, 4-H, Boy Scouts (new group here!) are meeting again; Girl Scouts, 4-H, and other groups and ministries are hoping to start meeting again this fall. The Center for Hope leadership team continues to meet and develop future plans to utilize this wonderful facility as best as possible. This team will share an informational update in worship soon.
7) Many building renovations have taken place and we are so grateful for our Trustees and volunteers who are working so diligently to improve our church facilities.
8) To help with more effective communication, we will begin having bulletins again in worship on Sept. 13, and please remember to visit our updated website, follow WUMC on FaceBook, and stay personally connected to your WUMC church family.
9) Ongoing financial support for WUMC’s ministry and mission through the Unified Budget
and Center for Hope is greatly appreciated. Your giving online, through the mail, and in person has been very generous during these difficult days and we are so grateful.
10) Prayer Concerns – We recently began a new prayer concern list. If you have prayer concerns you would like to have shared, and if you have the person’s permission, please contact the church office by email or phone. Also, see our WUMC Bulletin Board on FaceBook.
And please remember, if you need help, assistance, or prayer, or know of someone who does, please contact the church office (740-264-1676, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tif Manley (740-317-0609). Church staff are continuing to faithfully serve and work during this pandemic, and are available to assist in whatever helpful ways we are able. Feel free to contact any of us.
To contact the church office:
email: email@example.com or by phone: 740-264-1676To “follow” WUMC on Facebook: @wintersvilleumc